Keep The Tip
Name of run was Keep The Tip.
Run was GM'd by User:Luciferos
Run completed on date 2017-07-30 18:30 UTC
The runners are called to a meet at a strip club in Touristville, where a Mrs. Johnson (a body double of Sally Rise) informs the runners that an associate of hers has been taken hostage by the Ancients. She has some dealings with the gang and they are blaming her for the recent feralghoul infestation in Redmond and the Cutters pressing on her territory, which she claims she had nothing to do with.
The Johnson's Matrix dragnet pulled up plans for a Cutter assault on an Ancients base the next night. The runners are hired to assist the Ancient gangers in blunting the initial assault, then hunting down the Cutter assault leader Creight and abducting him alive, getting the name of who his backers are out of him, and delivering him to the Ancients leader Shane delivering the message: "Mrs. Johnson said "Keep the tip.""
Kitten and a contact of Wannabe's dig up info on the Cutters as the runners do research on where their assault is likely to be storing assets, and they hit an old unoccupied mechanic shop on the edge of the Plastic Jungle, only to find a suspicious number of vehicles parked on the 'abandoned' property. With Kitten's Matrix support, Wannabe easily enters the facility and breaks into one of their cars, only to make a critical error when hotwiring it for Kitten to hack into and sets off a car alarm. Within moments, spirits arrive on the scene to investigate. Kitten makes the executive decision to use the Cutter vehicle he is now in control of to ram the Earth spirit investigating the interior of the garage, which scrambles more astral defenses.
A firefight ensues between spirits and drones scrambled to the scene by Cutters, and Wannabe is severely wounded trying to kick a fire spirit (perhaps emboldened by her blowing away an Earth spirit with a punch moments before). War Doll bursts through the garage door to start gunning down spirits appearing within, Feather's drones and Kitten's van start dealing with the attacking drones, and Crow keeps the team working together long enough for them to repel the initial wave of Cutter forces, turn the engine blocks of the assault trucks into slag with War Doll's machine gun, and beat a hasty retreat.
Kitten takes Watanabe, in critical condition, to a street doc while the other three start putting out fires socially as Mrs. Johnson and Shane the Ancient leader are calling them up concerned. The Cutters have moved up their timetable for their assault by about sixteen hours as they realize their plan is made and strive to hit the Ancients before they can react. Shane is infuriated and has had his people take it out on their hostage, barely keeping Mrs. Johnson's associate alive. The Johnson is surprisingly collected about all this, but insists the runners meet Shane and provide visual proof of life confirmation. The elf is not a pretty picture, but they're alive, and the team takes a few hours to lick their wounds.
War Doll gives some solid advice to what gangers will listen about how to shore up their defenses, and the team then escorts a jumpy demolitions specialist named Spike to sap some old abandoned buildings along the assault route. The bombs work to perfection, burying two Cutter assault trucks, and after repelling another truck that tries to bear down on the sappers in revenge, they beat a hasty retreat, delivering Shane back to the Ancients command post in an old police station. They even salvage a Cutter, on the brink of death, who gives up the location of the Cutter command post they've been searching for: an old bank building a few miles to the north.
The runners arrive and unleash their final assault, needing all hands on deck to defeat the Cutter forces outside and inside with extreme prejudice. They clear the first two floors of the branch - only Creight is nowhere to be found. Is is then that Feather makes an odd realization - there is a physical cable cleverly hidden that looks like it's been drilled in near the floor into the vault itself. Kitten physically connects to the vault and pops it, and War Doll pours flashbangs into the building until the people inside surrender. Creight bargains for the life of his lieutenant, Beryl, but seems otherwise resigned and readily gives up the name of his business backer - Thomas Imahara with Shiawase. Mrs. Johnson runs some confirmation that supports this theory.
The runners dump Creight off on Shane, who seems very happy to see things reach their conclusion. As War Doll delivers the line, "Oh, Mrs. Johnson wanted you to know to 'Keep the tip'," the situation suddenly turns tense again as one of Shane's lieutenants blows his head off and suddenly all the Ancients are pointing guns at each other. The lieutenant cavalierly claims that the Johnson's deal - to get the backer information - was her payment for removing Shane after he betrayed Mrs. Johnson's trust and abducted one of her people.
The elf woman is barely alive, but Mrs. Johnson is visibly relieved to see her in one piece, and pays the runners happily. An Ancients chopshop owner who is a friend of Sadie, the former-lieutenant now-boss of the group the team helped save makes good on the Johnson's promise to reward the runners in 'aftermarket vehicles and mods' - most likely with some unexpected complimentary yerzing.
- Redmond Barrens
- Redmond Touristville
- Sally Rise (Mrs. Johnson) - recurring story character.
- Nubirelle - a close associate of Sally Rise. Taken hostage and violently beaten by the Ancients due to Sally Rise's interference with the ROSE organization causing a huge pack of feralghouls to be released in their territory, leading to shadowrunners and Cutters infringing on their turf.
- Creight - Cutter boss. Copped to a man named Thomas Imahara backing their attack on the Ancients.
- Shane (deceased) - Ancients boss. Shot in the head by his lieutenant Sadie who was looking to move up in the ranks.
Impact on Setting
A gang war in Redmond is not anything incredibly out of the ordinary, and while this conflict was minor compared to some of the bloody wars of the past that have left gangs nearly destroyed, heavy weaponry and demolitions were involved, possibly to the point of Knight Errant getting involved.
Facts and Fictions
Runners and Rewards
Base Karma: 4, Nuyen: 10000 (+50% for 2 session and 9 total hours). Also paid 1/4 contact and 20000 NuYen in upgrades.
- Wannabe : Unable to make follow-up due to scheduling, severely wounded character was transported to hospital for in-world continuity. Received standard award: 4 karma, 10000 NuYen, 1/4 contact "Spike", 20000 in standard reward legal GM gear type: vehicles, vehicle modifications, drone modifications
- Crow : 2 sessions, total 9 hours. Received reward: 5 karma, converted 15000 NuYen to 30000 in vehicle upgrades, 1/6 contact "Spike", 30000 in standard reward legal GM gear type: vehicles, vehicle modifications, drone modifications. **Final reward**: 5 karma, 0 NuYen, 1/6 contact, 60000 NuYen in vehicle upgrades (put towards Bentley Concordant). Took Kamikaze (x2). Received drained essence from Cutter ganger.
- Feather : 2 sessions, total 9 hours. Received reward: 5 karma, converted 15000 NuYen to 30000 in vehicle upgrades, 1/6 contact "Spike", 30000 in standard reward legal GM gear type: vehicles, vehicle modifications, drone modifications. Took Psyche.
- War Doll : 2 sessions, total 9 hours. Received reward: 5 karma, converted 15000 NuYen to 30000 in vehicle upgrades, 1/6 contact "Spike", 30000 in standard reward legal GM gear type: vehicles, vehicle modifications, drone modifications.
- Kitten : 2 sessions, total 9 hours. Received reward: 5 karma, converted 15000 NuYen to 30000 in vehicle upgrades, 1/6 contact "Spike", 30000 in standard reward legal GM gear type: vehicles, vehicle modifications, drone modifications.
- Total Group Expenses: Wannabe: Spent 1500 NuYen on legwork contact. Kitten: Rotodrone was destroyed in combat (was able to salvage the shotgun off the drone).